KUALA LUMPUR, 24 SEPTEMBER 2019: Minister of Finance Malaysia, YB Tuan Lim Guan Eng, will be delivering a keynote address at the International Directors Summit 2019 (‘the Summit’), an inaugural event organised by the Institute of Corporate Directors Malaysia (‘ICDM’). The Summit is the first platform in Malaysia and the region to facilitate networking and exchange of ideas and insights on governance and other boardroom issues amongst boards and directors from both the private and the public sectors, and with governance experts from across the world. The Summit, scheduled to take place at Shangri-La Hotel, Kuala Lumpur on 14-15 October 2019, aims to be a premier event for corporate governance (CG) in Malaysia and the region, paving the way towards stronger and more resilient boards and companies.
Tan Sri Zarinah Anwar, Chairman of ICDM said, “ICDM is pleased to be hosting the inaugural International Directors Summit this year. It is timely that Malaysia hosts this event as our country continues to focus on good governance and integrity to strengthen its corporate governance ecosystem. The corporate landscape is evolving at an unprecedented pace and both boards and directors – from across the private and public sectors – need to quickly progress and adapt to new realities. Expectations on corporate directors have changed significantly with more intense scrutiny on boards and directors. As corporate stewards, it is critical that boards provide the right tone from the top and take the lead in upholding good corporate governance. This is the only way forward to ensure business success and corporate longevity.”
“We would also like to thank YB Tuan Lim Guan Eng for his continued support of the ICDM and look forward to welcoming YB to the Summit,” added Tan Sri Zarinah.
The Summit will explore and discuss new thinking, ideas and strategies on how boards and directors can further crystallise good corporate governance practices, and effectively lead their organisations in an increasingly volatile, uncertain, untrusting, unfair, complicated and ambiguous (VUUUCA) world. The corporate scandals that have occurred across the world have demonstrated that the responsibilities and risks that businesses and leaders have to carry have also intensified, presenting a challenging environment in which boards and directors must operate in. It is, now more so than ever, important for businesses and boards to build and strengthen the trust amongst stakeholders and the public.
Themed ‘The Trust Compass: Resetting the Course’, the Summit will see ICDM hosting keynote addresses, multidisciplinary plenary discussions, masterclasses as well as networking sessions which will encourage good corporate governance and a culture of integrity within companies and businesses. Key speakers include:
- Yg Bhg Tan Sri Tommy Thomas, the Attorney General, who will present the closing address;
- Datuk Syed Zaid Albar, Chairman of Securities Commission Malaysia, who will be giving the opening remarks;
- Datuk Shireen Ann Zaharah Muhiudeen, Chairman of Bursa Malaysia, who will be a panellist for the plenary session ‘A New Paradigm: Towards ASEAN 4.0’;
- Stéphane Garelli, a world authority on competitiveness, Founder of IMD World Competitiveness Centre, Former Managing Director of the World Economic Forum and best-selling author from Switzerland, who will be speaking on the 21st Century Boards, and the skills, capabilities and mindset required for boards and companies to ensure they stay relevant in the 22nd Century;
- Erik PM Vermeulen, an Innovative Thinker from the Netherlands, who will share his insights on how boards can navigate and take advantage of the opportunities and the approaches to take to remain relevant in the post-digital era;
- Paul Moore, Whistle-blower of Halifax Bank of Scotland from the United Kingdom, who will share his personal experience in dealing with breach of trust or ethical misconducts, and the business insights from it; and
- Anders Indset, a Business Philosopher, Author and Public Speaker from Norway, who will provide a philosophical perspective on what it takes to be a future-ready board and a steward of trust.
Some of the session highlights during the Summit include:
- ‘A New Paradigm: Towards ASEAN 4.0’;
- ‘Ethical Dilemmas in the Boardroom: What Keeps You Awake at Night?’
- ‘Preventing the Next Scandal: Building a Culture of Vigilance’; and
- ‘Turning Sustainability & Climate Crisis into Business Opportunity’.
The Summit will feature other prominent speakers, including:
- Dato’ Seri Johan Raslan, ICDM Board Member and former Chairman of PwC Malaysia
- Sarena Cheah, Executive Director of Sunway Berhad;
- Datin Sunita Mei-Lin Rajakumar, Founder of the Climate Governance Initiative Malaysian Chapter and Chairman of Caring Pharmacy Group Berhad;
- YM Tunku Dato’ Mahmood Fawzy Bin Tunky Muhiyiddin, Chairman of Deutsche Bank;
- Patrick Pearson, Corporate Communications Director of Black Sun Plc;
- Shai Ganu, Managing Director, Rewards Business Leader – Asia Pacific of Willis Towers Watson, Singapore;
- Yong Yoon Li, Executive Director of Royal Selangor International;
- Zaiton Binti Jamaluddin, Independent Non-Executive Director of Duopharma Biotech Berhad;
- Dzameer Dzulkifli, Managing Director and Co-Founder of Teach for Malaysia; and
- Low Chee Keong, Associate Professor in Corporate Law, CUHK Business School, Hong Kong.
For further information and to register for the International Directors Summit 2019, please visit https://icdm.com.my/ids2019.
About the Institute of Corporate Directors Malaysia (ICDM): ICDM was established by the Securities Commission Malaysia in July 2017 as one of the initiatives under the Corporate Governance Strategic Initiatives 2017– 2020 to encourage better business conduct by developing good corporate governance and more effective boards.
ICDM is also supported by Bank Negara Malaysia, Bursa Malaysia and the Capital Market Development Fund. For more information on ICDM, please visit our website at https://icdm.com.my/.
For media enquiries, please contact:
|Dau Ming Seling
|Lok Ru Jun