Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) continues to be the driving force and is an essential part of a corporate business strategy. Company directors and senior management need to master the art of managing M&A in leading and growing their business ahead of the competition. Malaysia has seen its fair share of interesting M&As, especially in banking, plantation, pharmaceutical and food & beverages industries. The success rate of M&As in Malaysia has been mixed, and forms an interesting case study on what makes or breaks an M&A deal.
This one-day Board Risk Management programe is designed to equip Directors with an overview of their legal obligations during M&A activities. It includes discussions on the new section 17A on Corporate Liability in the Malaysian Anti- Corruption (MACC) (Amendment) Act 2018 which was gazette in May 2018, and the legal guidance for compliance.
To suit the needs of Directors, the programme is specially designed to:
- Equip Directors with an overview of their legal obligations during M&A activities
- Provide Directors with a broader knowledge of the relevant statutes and regulations which govern M&A activities
- Appreciate the new Section 17A of the MACC (Amendment) Act 2018 and the application of similar provisions in the United Kingdom (UK) and the United States of America (USA).
- Explain the Board’s responsibility in providing risk management oversight during M&A activities
- Develop a broader knowledge of the relevant statutes and regulations which govern M&A activities
- Identify the potential ‘red flags’ during M&A activities
- Recognise enforcement actions and rationale from leading case law
- Correlate Section 17A of the MACC (Amendment) Act 2018 and the application of similar provisions in the UK and USA
DATO’ GEORGE MIRANDA
Miranda & Samuel
(Advocates & Solicitors)
Dato’ George Miranda has 25 years of experience as a practicing lawyer. His expertise covers both non-contentious & contentious matters. He has a strong reputation for dealing with complex & high value corporate & litigation matters. In regards to non-contentious matters he focuses on Mergers & Acquisitions, preparing companies for IPOs in Malaysia, property conveyancing and compliance. He served as president of the Malaysian Mergers & Acquisitions Association from 2006 to 2012.
In regards to contentious matters he is active in the construction industry, intellectual property, contractual, company and shareholder disputes.
He is the Managing Partner of Kuala Lumpur based Miranda & Samuel, a law firm that has been singled out by the Legal 500 as a Leading Law Firm in the Asia Pacific region for 10 consecutive years.
|Thursday | 14 May 2020|
|8.30am – 9.00am||Registration|
|9.00am – 9.45am||Session 1:
The Role of the Board During M&A Activities
|9.45am – 10.30am||Session 2:
Securities Commission – Scope & Enforcement in M&A Matters
|10.30am – 11.00am||Networking Break|
|11.00am – 11.45am||Session 3:
Securities Commission – Scope and Enforcement in M&A Matters
|11.45am – 12.30am||Session 4:
Bursa Malaysia – Scope and Enforcement in M&A Matters
|12.30pm – 1.30pm||Networking Lunch|
|1.30pm – 2.15pm||Session 5:
The ‘New Malaysia’ and Section 17A of the MACC (Amendment) Act 2018
|2.15pm – 3.00pm||Session 6:
‘Adequate Procedures’ – A Step by Step Guide
|3.00pm – 3.30pm||Networking Break|
|3.30pm – 4.15pm||Session 7:
Case Study – Enforcement of Similar Provisions in the UK & USA
|4.15pm – 5.00pm||Session 8:
Case Study – Putting it all together: Recognising the ‘Red Flags’
|5.00pm||End of Programme|
ICDM reserves the right to amend the programme in the best interest of the event and will not be responsible for cancellations due to unforeseen circumstances.
Download the brochure at the right sidebar to read more.